The Indian gooseberry, known locally as Amla, is a tree that is famous for its nutrient rich fruits. It has been a common ingredient in the ancient Indian medicinal practice of Ayurveda. It’s a potent source of Vitamin C and also contains iron and calcium. Because it is so versatile, it has become a favourite among the health conscious masses.
Amla- Benefits and Uses
1. Amla is an excellent source of Vitamin C, hence it helps boost your immunity, metabolism and prevents viral and bacterial ailments, including cold and cough. Its nutritional profile also comes studded with a range of polyphenols that are known to fight against the development of cancer cells. According to Ayurveda, amla juice is known to balance all the processes in the body and brings to equilibrium all three doshas – vata, kapha, pitta.
2. Regular consumption of amla juice helps in reducing cholesterol levels. Amino acids and antioxidants aid in the overall functioning of heart.
3. It is also helpful in managing diabetes better as well as respiratory ailments like asthma.
4. It supports liver function and flushes out toxins from the body.
5. Along with Vitamin C, amla is also rich in iron, calcium, phosphorous and hence can be taken as a complete nutritional drink.
6. Boosts Immunity-Amla is a rich source of antioxidants and vitamins, and contains tannins. Tannins, when combined with polyphenols, makes the fruit a free radical scavenger.
7. Due to its antibacterial properties, Amla is a great way of preventing ulcers.
8. If made a regular part of the diet, Amla has been known to improve eyesight . It also helps in curing itchy, watery, and sore eyes.
9. Amla is effective for lightening the skin because of Vitamin C.
10. It reduces the level of acid in the stomach and combats stomach inflammation. It also keeps the liver in check and flushes out unhealthy toxins.